Wednesday, July 9, 2014

A Willie McCovey Discovery

About two weeks ago I went to my great grandmother's house to help my grandpa and uncle move a bunch of stuff out (she passed away at the end of last year and they just took care of the paperwork for the house). Since my grandpa lives in Florida, he had to fly up here to New York and sign some paperwork. To my understanding she left the house for her children so that when she died they could sell the house and divide the money. I usually only see my grandpa maybe twice a year, so I welcome every opportunity I get to spend time with him. They needed help moving some things so that my uncle could move everything from his house to her house, so he could move in and sell his current house. I'm sure a few of you may be wondering how this applies to baseball. Am I right?

While going through some boxes in the basement (holiday decorations, old newspapers, silverware) my grandpa stumbled across something that further proves that even in the most random places you never know what you will find....

1965 Topps #176 Willie McCovey




When I went to help out I never expected to find anything pertaining to baseball. My guess is that this card belonged to one of the three brothers (either one of my two uncles or my grandpa) when they were younger. There's a small crease at the top, and I'm sure that even hookers have seen better corners than these. But other than a few marks (and being off-centered), the card is in decent shape. As far as I know it's been in the basement for all these years. Come to think of it, my grandpa was born in '42, so if he were to have had this card back then, he would've been 23 which is 3 years older than I am now. Interesting. If it belonged to one of my uncles (they're not too far off in age) they would've probably been between the ages of 17-21, which is a fair estimate. I haven't checked yet, but with this card being from 1965, I believe it is now the oldest card I have.

As far as a value on this card I'm not entirely sure. Just going by eBay, I've seen listings that are anywhere between $5 up to $40. There are some higher than $70 but those are mostly ones that have been graded. By looking at the pictures you can tell the card I have isn't in the best quality for someone to want to buy it and get it graded, anyways. But it does come with a rather interesting story on how it was found, as well as a memory of that day. That's what makes it the most valuable.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome story, and a phenomenal card. Nice little hooker joke you had in there too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alex! I had no intention of finding anything like it when I went, but you really never know what you will find in random places. This serves as a great example.

      Haha, I thought it was clever. Not the best, but still fun. I know how anxious you were waiting to read it!

      Delete