Thursday, May 22, 2014

Recent eBay Pickup: Part Two

While picking up the Smoltz rookie lot, I almost stumbled upon something I have been searching YEARS for. For the price, I had to have it. This autograph has eluded me for the longest time, and that ladies and gentleman, would be the autograph of the one and only Warren Spahn. Other than being the winningest lefty in MLB history with 363 wins, he played for the Braves (Boston and Milwaukee) for 20 seasons, with his last playing for both the Mets and Giants. What's also worth mentioning is that he missed three seasons due to military service (like other players had in the 1940's) at the start of his career. He didn't play again until he was 25 years old and the wins started piling up after that. Had he played those three years, there's a possibility he could have over 400 career wins. Though with 363 wins, being 5th on the all-time wins list isn't bad either. Now that you've endured my little history lesson, here is the card I picked up from eBay....



When I first saw this, I knew I had to have it. I got it for a good price (thankfully) and I'm very proud to say that I now own a Warren Spahn auto. I asked myself what the heck is he looking at? That question probably lured me into getting this, even though I'll never know the answer. I've seen pictures of other players from around this time so perhaps this was like the "default" pose, who knows. You can see a bit of his Braves uniform and they added the logo behind him, but what I like most is that his picture has color (instead of the black and white photos). Also, I'm not sure if you guys can tell from the picture or not, but it's an on-card autograph, so to think that he actually held this card is pretty cool. Now I can finally check this Braves great off my list!

Here's part one of my recent eBay pickups: http://tomahawkempire.blogspot.com/2014/05/recent-ebay-pickup-part-one.html

2 comments:

  1. Pretty sweet pickup. Nice to have an auto of a HOFer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alex. And it sure is! Glad I was finally able to get him.

      Delete