Friday, May 16, 2014

My First John Smoltz Autograph




I can still remember the day I won this on eBay, back in my senior year of high school. This is actually the first auto I've ever bought, so when I won it I was very excited. This card is from 2012 Topps Five Star and is #'d 138/208. Five Star is usually pretty good from what I've seen in the past. To make it even better, it's an on-card signature. The colors stand out very well; the red background and the blue sharpie really just work perfectly with the Braves uniform. The picture they used of John really makes this card stand out for me. It shows his competitive nature and in my opinion, is such an iconic pose. To say that this is the first autographed card I've ever gotten of him (or anyone for that matter) is truly a great feeling. This was the card that took my collecting to a whole new level, and I'm proud to say that I now have 8 autographs of him. I also have 6 jersey cards of him. To see all of the autographs and jersey cards spread out is quite mind-blowing, to say the least. One of these days I'll post a group photo of all my John Smoltz cards (including the rookies), so I'm really looking forward to that. I'll probably have to use a panoramic view! Actually, I'm pretty sure I'll have to.

4 comments:

  1. Sweet card! Congrats on the pickup (even if it was a while back).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alex! There's so many cards to choose from that it only made sense for me to start with my first auto. I surely have some catching up to do, but it'll be a lot of fun!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you! It's one of my favorites. Very proud to have it. I appreciate it much more now that it was my first auto and I really picked out a good one without really knowing "too much" about cards at the time

      Delete